Re: New XFS git tree on oss.sgi.com

To: Timothy Shimmin <tes@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New XFS git tree on oss.sgi.com
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:08:40 +1100
Cc: Lachlan McIlroy <lachlan@xxxxxxx>, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 02:29:11PM +1100, Timothy Shimmin wrote:
> Dave Chinner wrote:
> >> We would prefer patches based on the master branch but patches can be
> >> against the mainline, master or xfs-dev branches. If a patch against
> >> mainline or xfs-dev doesn't apply cleanly to the master branch we may
> >> ask the author to rebase that patch against the master branch. If a
> >> patch to the master branch needs auxillary changes to files that only
> >> exist in the xfs-dev branch (ie xfsidbg stuff) we may ask for an
> >> additional patch from the author.
> >
> > IIUC correctly, you are saying that we'll have to provide two
> > different versions of every patch set? i.e. one that applies to
> > the -master branch and potentially another that applies to the
> > -xfs-dev branch?
> >
> No, that's not how I was envisaging this.
> If you are not interested in modifying xfsidbg.c or dmapi
> then I'd expect you to only send patches against the master branch.

Ok, but that conflicts with "we may ask for an additional patch".

I'm trying to understand how we (i.e. those of us outside SGI) are
expected to use these branches. The new setup doesn't seem any
different to the old trees - there's one repository but really it is
still two "trees" that will require "external merging" to move
complex changes between them.

> I was expecting the xfs-team when they pull in or git-am the
> patches to update the other branch accordingly.

It might help to describe how you're expecting patches to flow
from the developers up to Linus - that might help us understand
how we should use these trees (i.e. describe the workflow you
expect to be using)....

Also, how does a "pull request" from a developer fit into this?

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner