Re: New XFS git tree on oss.sgi.com

To: Lachlan McIlroy <lachlan@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New XFS git tree on oss.sgi.com
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:27:10 -0500
Cc: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 12:11:33PM +1100, Lachlan McIlroy wrote:
> Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > Looking over the -dev tree, can you please revert
> >

> > http://oss.sgi.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=xfs/xfs.git;a=commitdiff;h=c79ae33eebac1c15aa435fb77362fdc5eff2be4d
> >
> > All this wasn't needed in the old ptrace tree either, no need to carry it
> > forward.
>
> Is this code needed for the BSD port?

According to Russell it may be need, but he'll probably need a newer
version than the one check-ed in once he resyncs.  And he'll have his
own support dir with the rest of the BSD code.

> There may be other code that can be removed too.  We moved a lot of the code
> that existed only in ptools into the xfs-dev branch so that branch and ptools
> are in sync.  This allows us to automatically merge changes back to the old
> ptools tree (yes it still lives).  Any merge failures will now be handled
> between git branches and not between different scms.

The xfs-dev also fortunately doesn't have the modular quota code.  So
for both these I'd suggest removing them from the ptools tree, too.

Also
http://oss.sgi.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=xfs/xfs.git;a=commitdiff;h=ca830fdf6231d0683f4ea4e9223e234c3a509063
doesn't seem to be needed.  None of those symbols seems to be used by
either dmapi or xfsidbg, the only two modules using xfs symbols in the
tree.