Re: truncated files

To: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: truncated files
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:27:03 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:44:14PM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Today on one try to hibernate via tuxonice it machine appeared dead. I am
                      ^^^^^^^^^
When (not if) suspend to disk/resume fails, you get to keep all the broken
pieces of your filesystem. It works most of the time, but it has
some fundamentally broken corner cases that you probably just
hit....

> Similar stuff happened on the encfs encrypted KDE user that I use for
> professional stuff - encfs is layered on top of XFS via FUSE:

IIRC, FUSE cannot be suspended safely at all, so expect corruption
of FUSE filesystems on a failed suspend.

I've never had a system that suspends reliably (let alone resumes
from the suspend) so it's no real surprise that I don't trust
suspend to disk....

Cheers,

Dave.
--