Re: New XFS git tree on oss.sgi.com

To: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New XFS git tree on oss.sgi.com
From: Mark Goodwin <markgw@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 08:42:56 +1100
Cc: Lachlan McIlroy <lachlan@xxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

Russell Cattelan wrote:
Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 06:22:21PM +1100, Lachlan McIlroy wrote:

There's a few branches there already:

'master'      This will contain all the latest xfs changes not yet pushed
               to mainline.
'mainline'    This is vanilla mainline and will updated regularly.
'for-linus'   Our staging branch for pull requests
'xfs-dev'     This branch will contain KDB and other supporting code for
               development and should be identical to the old CVS tree.

Feel free to start using it and let us know if you have any issues.

Any chance to have these as separate git trees instead of branches?

Why? Is it just a bandwidth issue with the initial clone, or some
other reason?

In either case, do you expect patches against the xfs-dev or the master
tree?

I'll let Lachlan reply to that, but normally master I think. One thing that
is important is that any commit against the xfs-dev tree should split out
kdb and dmapi changes into separate commits from changes to fs/xfs.

 It would also be useful if the trees and which one to be used
could be documented on oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs or xfs.org.

yes certainly.

Specifically this page please.
http://xfs.org/index.php/Getting_the_latest_source_code

Been waiting for the WIKI on oss to be set up - these two sites
can simply mirror each other I guess for some or all documentation.

Maybe add a quick tutorial on git branches and how to create tracking
branches for this tree.

Yes that's a good idea: git remote add ....

Also can we have something other than "unnamed repository" in the
description file?

Yep. Niv, can you fix that up please.

xfs mailing list
xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx