Re: Extreme slowness with xfs [WAS: Re: Slowness with new pc]

To: Stian Jordet <liste@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Extreme slowness with xfs [WAS: Re: Slowness with new pc]
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:25:22 -0500 (EST)
Cc: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008, Stian Jordet wrote:

ti., 18.11.2008 kl. 11.51 -0200, skrev Sergio Luis:
please post your config and dmesg output. It might help people try to
identify something wrong.

(see http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=122676220019858&w=2 for the
start of this thread)

Hmm. I have now converted my root and /home filesystems to ext3, and
that actually fixed it (!). I have no idea why xfs is performing so
extremely poorly on this machine, i'm running xfs on every filesystem on
eight other computers (one heavy loaded server, as well).

Anyway, I'm now unpacking the 2.6.27.6 kernel in 15 seconds, with xfs on
the same array it used between five and six minutes.

I still have a xfs array, and when I copy files to or from that array,
the gnome session practically freezes, and the load average easily goes
beyond 10.

How should I debug this? I'm not very eager about reformatting my 1,5TB
xfs array... Besides, xfs have never let me down earlier.

Thanks.

Please cc me on any replies.

Regards,
Stian

As the original posted stated:

1. please post dmesg output
2. you may want to include your kernel .config
3. xfs_info /dev/mdX or /dev/device may also be useful
4. you can also check fragmentation:
   # xfs_db -c frag -f /dev/md2
   actual 257492, ideal 242687, fragmentation factor 5.75%
5. something sounds very strange, I also run XFS on a lot of systems and
   have never heard of that before..
6. also post your /etc/fstab options
7. what distribution are you running?
8. are -only- the two fujitsu's (raid0) affected or are other arrays
   affected on this HW as well (separate disks etc)?
9. you can also compile in support for latency_top & power_top to see
   if there is any excessive polling going on by any one specific
   device/function as well

Justin.