Re: assertion failed in xfs_reclaim_inodes_ag()

To: Lachlan McIlroy <lachlan@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: assertion failed in xfs_reclaim_inodes_ag()
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:53:56 -0500
Cc: xfs-oss <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 08:38:44AM -0500, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 12:42:27PM +1100, Lachlan McIlroy wrote:
> > Hit this while running stress tests.  Looks like an inode is tagged with
> > XFS_ICI_RECLAIM_TAG but not XFS_IRECLAIMABLE|XFS_IRECLAIM.  I can't see
> > how that can happen.
>
> Looks it's xfs_iget_cache_hit when the inode is marked XFS_IRECLAIMABLE,
> in that case we first clear XFS_IRECLAIMABLE and then call
> __xfs_inode_clear_reclaim_tag, and all that under
> read_lock(&pag->pag_ici_lock) only, so no protection against the assert
> in xfs_reclaim_inodes_ag.

And the easiest fix is to just remove the assert, xfs_reclaim_inode does
the right thing (bail out) if XFS_IRECLAIMABLE is not set, and it does
so with the correct locks.  The more complicated fix would be to take
the pag_ici_lock in write more from the very beginning in
xfs_reclaim_inodes_ag, and open-code a variant of xfs_reclaim_inode
there.