Re: centos and xfs filesystem shutdowns

To: Matthew Kent <mkent@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: centos and xfs filesystem shutdowns
From: eerov@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:58:29 +0200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Quoting Matthew Kent <mkent@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Desperately seeking advice :)

The setup:

* CentOS 5.2
* kmod-xfs-0.4-2 from centosplus repo
* nfs exporting -> xfs filesystem -> lvm volume -> iscsi target
* each filesystem is about 750GB and we mount 5 on each server.
* each filesystem contains 3-20 million small files.
* mount options are as follows
  _netdev,noatime,uqnoenforce,gqnoenforce,ihashsize=262139,rw

I also encountered lot of crashes and hangups with Centos 5.2 and XFS filesystem.

Solution that worked for me was recompiling latest vanilla kernel and installed it into Centos 5.2 system. Maybe some third party provides latest vanilla kernel for Centos 5.2 in rpm format?

--
Eero