Re: [XFS updates] XFS public tree - ..., mainline, updated. v2.6.28-rc3-

To: Niv Sardi <xaiki@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [XFS updates] XFS public tree - ..., mainline, updated. v2.6.28-rc3-934-ged31348
From: Timothy Shimmin <tes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 12:41:44 +1100
Cc: lachlan@xxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Niv Sardi wrote:
> Lachlan McIlroy <lachlan@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Hey Niv, why are we sending emails as other people?
>
> I'm not, it's Mark's script to send emails, I tried setting up the
> 'envelopesender' option to send as git@xxxxxxxxxxx, but mails were not
> getting sent... I guess I need to look into that...

The script post-receive-email is from the "git" git repository in contrib/hooks.
The envelopesender is for setting up an email address to send to when
a mailing failure occurs and the script uses the -f option to sendmail
for this.
The "From" line for the email is set up by the generate_email_header()
function which sets it to the git committer. I presume that is where one
would want to change the code.
It could be set to a config variable which could be setup as git@xxxxxxxxxxx

So I guess some questions about this:
* do we want a square brackets tag in the mail subject, and if so what should
it be
* do we want the repository description in the subject
  (I've trimmed the description back)

The aim for this email was to have it like TAKE messages - and let people
know the changes to the tree.

However, I don't think we ever sent TAKE msgs for updates of the
kernel part (non fs/xfs). Do we want this or not?

--Tim