Re: Bad day with xfsrestore, what went wrong?

To: mlueck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Bad day with xfsrestore, what went wrong?
From: Timothy Shimmin <tes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:10:01 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Michael,

Michael Lueck wrote:
> xfsrestore -J -E -f /mnt/ext_backup/ldslnx01/20061220/data -s shares/data -i
> -v verbose /srv
> Bill Kendall wrote:
>
>> I tried to reproduce this using the command line you supplied, but
>> everything worked as expected for me.
>
> Glad to hear that. Seems my tried and true syntax _can_ still work.
>
>> Perhaps try it without the -i (so that only subtrees given with -s are
>> restored), just to rule out
>> the possibility that you inadvertently added all files to the restore
>> list.
>
> Enough putzing with a production server I think.
>
> It was odd that it only put back files present in that old backup set
> and did not overwrite everything... thankfully!

Maybe the -E option helped you out there.

  -E   Prevents  xfsrestore from overwriting newer versions of files.
  The inode modification time of the on-media file is com‐
  pared to the inode modification time of corresponding file in the dest
directory.
  The file is restored only if the  on-media  version  is newer than the version
  in the dest directory.  The inode modification time of a file can be displayed
  with the ls -lc command.

--Tim