Re: deadlock with latest xfs

To: Lachlan McIlroy <lachlan@xxxxxxx>, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs-oss <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: deadlock with latest xfs
From: Lachlan McIlroy <lachlan@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 18:46:30 +1000
Dave Chinner wrote:
On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 01:08:55PM +1000, Lachlan McIlroy wrote:
Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 07:17:30PM +1000, Lachlan McIlroy wrote:
another problem with latest xfs
Is this with the 2.6.27-based ptools/cvs tree or with the 2.6.28 based
git tree?  It does looks more like a VM issue than a XFS issue to me.

It's with the 2.6.27-rc8 based ptools tree.  Prior to checking
in these patches:

Can't lock inodes in radix tree preload region
stop using xfs_itobp in xfs_bulkstat
free partially initialized inodes using destroy_inode

I was able to stress a system for about 4 hours before it ran out
of memory.  Now I hit the deadlock within a few minutes.  I need
to roll back to find which patch changed the behaviour.

Does it go away when you add the "XFS: Fix race when looking up
reclaimable inodes" I sent this morning?
I haven't had a chance to test it yet - will do that on Monday.

Also, is there a thread stuck in xfs_setfilesize() waiting on an
ilock during I/O completion?
Haven't seen one but then I haven't looked through all 1024 stuck
threads.

i.e. did the log hang because I/O completion is stuck waiting on
an ilock that is held by a thread waiting on I/O completion?
It could be.  I was hoping that if I found the offending mod it
would be easier to find out what caused the problem.  I pulled
out each of the changes listed above in turn and I can still hit
the problem.