Re: deadlock with latest xfs

To: Lachlan McIlroy <lachlan@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: deadlock with latest xfs
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 16:24:18 +1100
Cc: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs-oss <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 01:08:55PM +1000, Lachlan McIlroy wrote:
> Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 07:17:30PM +1000, Lachlan McIlroy wrote:
>>> another problem with latest xfs
>>
>> Is this with the 2.6.27-based ptools/cvs tree or with the 2.6.28 based
>> git tree?  It does looks more like a VM issue than a XFS issue to me.
>>

> It's with the 2.6.27-rc8 based ptools tree.  Prior to checking
> in these patches:
>
> Can't lock inodes in radix tree preload region
> stop using xfs_itobp in xfs_bulkstat
> free partially initialized inodes using destroy_inode
>
> I was able to stress a system for about 4 hours before it ran out
> of memory.  Now I hit the deadlock within a few minutes.  I need
> to roll back to find which patch changed the behaviour.

Does it go away when you add the "XFS: Fix race when looking up
reclaimable inodes" I sent this morning?

Also, is there a thread stuck in xfs_setfilesize() waiting on an
ilock during I/O completion?

i.e. did the log hang because I/O completion is stuck waiting on
an ilock that is held by a thread waiting on I/O completion?

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner