Re: git tree updates....

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: git tree updates....
From: Lachlan McIlroy <lachlan@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:17:21 +1000
Dave Chinner wrote:
Lachlan,

I just noticed you've been updating the git tree. You might want to
change the order that certain patches have been committed - the
changes to the fs/inode.c needed to be committed before the changes
to fs/xfs/xfs_inode.c that use them. They've been committed the
wrong way around and about 20 commits apart, so there's significant
region in the commit history where the kernel will fail to build.
Given the distance between the commits, there's a fair chance that
a git bisect could land in this range of compiliation failures.

Any chance of redoing these commits before you push to Linus so
that they are ordered correctly in the git tree?

Yeah I'll try to get them back in the right order.  Our merge tools
conveniently missed anything outside fs/xfs so I didn't realise I had
missed them until after I merge all the XFS mods.  I just wanted to
get something out for linux-next and also since the cvs tree was busted.

Out of curiosity Dave, why didn't you send those changes directly to
Linus?