Bad day with xfsrestore, what went wrong?

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Bad day with xfsrestore, what went wrong?
From: Michael Lueck <mlueck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 21:13:36 -0400
Sender: news <news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Greetings-

I hope this is the NNTP equiv of the email list found on this web page:
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/

I have been using XFS with Debian for a number of years with great success.
Today, xfsrestore really threw me a curve ball. I am wondering what went wrong.

I had wanted to restore from an old backup some directories that I discovered I
had need of. I used the following syntax to get the restore started:

xfsrestore -J -E -f /mnt/ext_backup/ldslnx01/20061220/data -s shares/data -i -v
verbose /srv

I selected some directories to restore through the interactive interface, then
allowed it to restore the specified files.

What it ended up doing, HOWEVER, was to restore every file present in that old
backup that was no longer on disk!

Thus, what went wrong?

Thanks!

--