Stale XFS mount for Kernel 2.6.25.14

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Stale XFS mount for Kernel 2.6.25.14
From: "Ngo, Andrew" <andrew.ngo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 22:10:54 -0400
Cc: "Johnson, Je" <je.johnson@xxxxxxxx>, "Ngo, Andrew" <andrew.ngo@xxxxxxxx>
Hi,

This is my first attempt to report a stale mount problem.  If this is
not the relevant mail list, please let me know.  I suspect that my
problem is xfs related, thus I select this mailing list.

I have a system that recently upgraded it's kernel to 2.6.25.14.  The
system's previous kernel was 2.6.18.-8.el5.  With the previous kernel, I
have no problem with executing the following commands when the system is
in operation.  Note that the /mnt/mountpoint is mounted on a XFS file
system.

mount -o rw,remount /mnt/mountpoint
mount -o ro,remount /mnt/mountpoint

With kernel 2.6.25.14, however, the mount command may be hang when
changing from rw to ro.  When this happen, system is very sluggish.
Even the "shutdown -r now" command is not taken.  The only way to get
out of this hang is by manually pressing the power button

Your sugguestion is greatly appreciated.

Andy Ngo

[[HTML alternate version deleted]]