XFS: "slow at directory traversal .. after 3 years of use"

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: XFS: "slow at directory traversal .. after 3 years of use"
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 16:30:22 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Lennart Hansen <lahansen@xxxxxxxxx>
Someone pointed me to the following paper:

http://www.stdlib.net/~colmmacc/Apachecon-EU2005/scaling-apache-handout.pdf

Which states:

After nearly 3 years of use, some problems with XFS became noticeable. As the
number of used inodes in the filesystem grows XFS becomes very slow at
directory traversal. Although this did not impede web-serving it did have a
heavy impact on how quickly we could synchronise content with the primary
sources.

Dave / Eric, comments here?  Does ext3 suffer from the same problem?

Have these issues been fixed since 2005?  Would inode64 alleviate some of
these problems?

Justin.