Re: what is the FS size limit for xfs_repair ?

To: "Emmanuel Florac" <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: what is the FS size limit for xfs_repair ?
From: "James Braid" <jamesb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 16:23:41 +0100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
2008/10/3 Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I thought the limit would be at 16TB (32 bits limit for a filesystem)
> but obviously this isn't the case. Is the limitation higher (like 32
> TB) or is it a bug of etch 4.0r4 xfs_repair?

The limit is how much memory a 32-bit process can allocate - it's not
a limit of xfs_repair itself.

xfs_repair uses different amounts of memory depending on the
filesystem characteristics (number of inodes etc) - so a 32-bit
xfs_repair might work fine on an empty filesystem but not on a
filesystem with loads of files on it. e.g. we had a ~2TB filesystem
with millions of inodes and 32-bit xfs_repair failed.