what is the FS size limit for xfs_repair ?

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: what is the FS size limit for xfs_repair ?
From: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 17:04:52 +0200
After a system crash on a system with a 40TB XFS filesystem, xfs_repair
(32 bits binary, with a 64 bits 2.6.24 kernel) refused to work ("cannot
allocate block map, size xxx").
The 64 bits xfs_repair did the trick fine.

I tried to reproduce the problem today by corrupting a 22TB filesystem.
However, 32 bits xfs_repair repaired the 22 TB FS just fine in the very
same configuration (64 bits kernel, etc).

I thought the limit would be at 16TB (32 bits limit for a filesystem)
but obviously this isn't the case. Is the limitation higher (like 32
TB) or is it a bug of etch 4.0r4 xfs_repair?

Emmanuel Florac     |   Intellique