Re: XFS filesystem corruption on the arm(el) architecture

To: Tobias Frost <tobi@xxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, debian-arm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS filesystem corruption on the arm(el) architecture
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 20:42:53 -0500
Dave Chinner wrote:
> Adding xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx to the cc list so all the XFS folk see this.
>
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 10:38:22PM +0200, Tobias Frost wrote:
>> (Note: Please CC me, as I am NOT on the lkml!!)
>>
>> Some time ago, I discovered some problems with xfs. Unfortunatly, I had
>> no time diving into it. However, some weeks ago some other people
>> running debian on ARM machines confirmed the problem on their machines
>> starting at [1], so I think it is appropitate to at least report it.
>> It has also been seen on 2.6.27-rc4  [2].
>>
>> summary: the xfs partition corrupts almost immediatly after creation. I
>> had the impression, that the first unlink (rm) causes the corruption,
>> but this might be just an impression.
>>
>> During the tests I made, I conserved a image of the corrupted filesystem
>> which I can make available on request (it's 26 Mbyte, gzipped).
>>
>> Please let me know how I can assist you in finding the problem.
>>

>> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2008/08/msg00155.html
>> [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2008/08/msg00184.html
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Tobias Frost
>> http://blog.coldtobi.de
>>
>> PS: Thank you for your great work!

Ok, actually: first - sorry for the scattershot replies.  I thought
userspace was updated earlier, but:

xfsprogs-2.10.1 (5 September 2008)...
        - Add packed on-disk shortform directory for ARM's old ABI, thanks to
          Eric Sandeen.

and the original kernel change:

    [XFS] Pack some shortform dir2 structures for the ARM old ABI
    architecture.
    Note that userspace needs a similar treatment, and any filesystems which
    were running with the previous rogue "fix" will now see corruption

So perhaps as a first easy test, can you please re-test with
xfsprogs-2.10.1 or newer.

Thanks,
-Eric