Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/7] XFS: dynamic busy extent tracking

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/7] XFS: dynamic busy extent tracking
From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 20:17:32 +0200
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Dave,

Am Mittwoch 08 Oktober 2008 schrieb Dave Chinner:
> The busy extent tracking in XFS is currently very static and has
> some performance issues. We can only track 128 busy extents per AG,
> and when we overflow this we fall back to synchronous transactions.
> Also, every time we re-use a busy extent we cause a synchronous log
> force, which stops all allocation and freeing in that AG while the
> log force is in progress.

Could this accelerate

tar -xf linux-2.6.26.tar.gz
rm -r linux-2.6.26

?

A student in the Linux Performance Tuning course I hold this week compared
this with ext3, even with the improved mkfs.xfs options (but without
lazy-count=1, cause mkfs.xfs from Debian Etch is too old) and even with
noop as IO scheduler. AFAIR XFS took roughly 3-4 times as long as Ext3, I
did not note the exact numbers. This was with 2.6.25. I can repeat the
test locally with 2.6.26.5 if wanted.

Ciao,