Re: xfs, ubuntu, & xen

To: Andrew Lawry <a_lawry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs, ubuntu, & xen
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:00:39 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Andrew Lawry wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am setting up a new Xen installation using XFS as the file system. On our
> test
> machine we have been having some problems with a domU crashing and some
> data loss on the domU (on recovery of the file system at the next boot
> some files have become truncated.

Why is the domU crashing; does it look at all related to these problems,
or is it something different?

Does the filesystem image check out ok with xfs_repair when this
happens?  If not, what does it find?

Which files are truncated, system files or files that were being written
at the time of the crash?  And just to be clear, what exactly do you
mean by truncated; that the data is correct up to EOF, but the file is
smaller than you expect?  Is this more than simply buffered writes
getting lost, which is to be expected?

-Eric