Re: REVIEW: Zero rest of superblock sector always

To: Barry Naujok <bnaujok@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: REVIEW: Zero rest of superblock sector always
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 09:12:20 +1000
Cc: "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 04:51:19PM +1000, Barry Naujok wrote:
> I found that zeroing the "garbage" beyond the end of the superblock in
> the first sector of each AG rather inconsistant. It depended on some
> obscure combination of version bits to be set.

Just for filling out hte history, that isfixing a bug in an old, old
mkfs.xfs on Irix where a certain version failed to zero the
superblock(s) before initialising them. Every XFS filesystem made in
the last 10 years should have properly initialised superblocks.

But still, doing it unconditionally is fine as it will fix stuff
like fsfuzzer damage....

Cheers,

Dave.
--