Re: Lock debugging noise or real problem?

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Lock debugging noise or real problem?
From: Linda Walsh <lkml@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:35:07 -0700
Cc: LKML <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs-oss <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Eric Sandeen wrote:
I haven't looked closely at #2 but there have been so many lockdep
reports for xfs, and so many explanations of why they don't always get
along, you'll probably be able to find something with some searching.
----

So in debugging mysterious 'lockups' where I've, at least once, noticed a hangcheck_timer elapse, this lock-checking stuff is just nonsensical? It is very frustrating trying to turn on debug tools in the kernel and get so many false positives.

Would it be possible or, perhaps, desirable to eliminate the buggy lock-checks in the
xfs code?

Meanwhile...back to finding reasons for the semi-random, periodic hanging...
;^/