Re: XFS noikeep remount in 2.6.27-rc1-next-20080730

To: MusicMan529@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS noikeep remount in 2.6.27-rc1-next-20080730
From: Jasper Bryant-Greene <jasper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 16:36:35 +1200
Cc: Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, util-linux-ng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 21:33 -0700, gus3 wrote:
> --- On Tue, 8/5/08, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > So what is the correct behaviour? Should the filesystem
> > *silently
> > ignore* unchangable options in the remount command, or
> > should it
> > fail the remount and warn the user that certain options are
> > not
> > allowed in remount?
>
> How about a middle ground: ignore, but not silently? Report an error, or send
> it to the syslog, or both, but ultimately ignore unchangeable options, change
> what can be changed, and give the user/admin as much as possible.

I think the idea is to behave the same as other FS do, not to innovate.

> This can be particularly pertinent for XFS root. If it's mounted RO at first,
> it may (will?) need to become RW at some later point. Failing the remount
> could result in a system that requires a rescue CD (or lots of headaches for
> remote administration).

FWIW, your root filesystem does not need to be rw. I keep mine ro nearly
all the time on my laptop, only mounting rw if I need to install
software that puts files outside /usr or if I need to modify a config
file in /etc.

-jasper