Re: XFS noikeep remount in 2.6.27-rc1-next-20080730

To: Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS noikeep remount in 2.6.27-rc1-next-20080730
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 09:39:57 +1000
Cc: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxx>, Jasper Bryant-Greene <jasper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, util-linux-ng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 01:03:57PM +0200, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 09:31:33PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > I'ts most likely a fallout, but I wonder why.  To get this behaviour
> > moutn would have to add all the options it finds in /proc/self/mounts
> > to the command line.
>
>  mount(8) does not read and use /proc/self/mounts at all.
>
>     Karel
>

>  Man mount:
>
>  remount
>
>      Attempt  to remount an already-mounted file system.  This is commonly
> used
>      to change the mount flags for a file system, especially to make a
> readonly
>      file system writeable. It does not change device or mount point.
>
>      The  remount  functionality follows the standard way how the mount
> command
>      works with options from fstab. It means the  mount  command  doesn’t
> read
>      fstab (or mtab) only when a device and dir are fully specified.
>
>      mount -o remount,rw /dev/foo /dir
>
>      After  this  call  all  old mount options are replaced and arbitrary
> stuff
>      from fstab is ignored, except the loop= option which is internally
> gener-
>      ated and maintained by the mount command.
>
>      mount -o remount,rw  /dir
>
>      After  this call mount reads fstab (or mtab) and merges these options
> with
>      options from command line ( -o ).

So, given the command at issue was:

luna ~ # mount -o remount,rw /usr

We're seeing the second case where mount is merging all the options in
/etc/fstab into the options passed into the remount command. How is
the filesystem expected to behave in these difference cases? The
first simply changes the ro/rw status, the second potentially
asks for the filesystem to change a bunch of other mount options
as well, which it may not be able to do.

So what is the correct behaviour? Should the filesystem *silently
ignore* unchangable options in the remount command, or should it
fail the remount and warn the user that certain options are not
allowed in remount?

Cheers,

Dave.
--