Question about extended attributes...

To: xfs-oss <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Question about extended attributes...
From: "Linda A. Walsh" <xfs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:11:01 -0700
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
my man page says extended xfs attributes can have 256-byte names
with up to 64K of data.

Is there a limit on the number of extended attributes max data size or name size?

I.e. could I have 1000 attributes with 64K of data each?

Is there a strong reason why the file and data sizes were limited to 256/64K?
Would they be hard to 'generalize' to max-path-segment-len/max-filelen?

Only reason I wonder is wondering what file systems besides apple's "HPFS"(?) and MS's NTFS, that allow alternate data-streams of arbitrary length. I'm not sure about the maximums on HPFS and NTFS, but I haven't _read_ of any notable limits (I'm sure there are some, but it _seems_ you can store alternate file versions in different data-streams on NTFS, for example... I.e. could use it as a revision system, theoretically -- to save older versions of the file with the right software -- but with XFS, it wouldn't be so general case with a 64K data limit -- wouldn't be a show-stopper if one could 'link' multiple data-segments, but am just curious about the limitations (not that I'm planning on implementing a version control system using data-forks...it was just an example! :-)).

linda