Re: linux xfs filesystem corruption

To: Robert <xiaguowu2004@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: linux xfs filesystem corruption
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 21:47:01 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Robert wrote:
> Dear all,
>       I have encoutered linux xfs filesystem corruption, I search this topic
> on the
> web, but I can't find any useful information to fix my problem.
>       I build a raid5 with 'mdadm' on my own embeded system which is based
> on
> arm, and format it with 'mkfs.xfs',  mount it to a directory to be set for
> nfs
> share. On the host side, I mount the raid, and start writing data to this
> raid,  for
> about 20hours later, I start to delete the data , but the following message
> shows:
>
> XFS internal error XFS_WANT_CORRUPTED_GOTO at line 1610 of file
> fs/xfs/xfs_alloc.c, xfs_force_shutdown(md0,0x8) called from line 4073 of
> file fs/xfs/xfs_bmap.c
> Filesystem "md0" corruption of in-memory data detected. Shutting down
> filesystem.Please umount the filesystem and rectify the problem.

arm has been problematic on several fronts.  The first was with the v2
directory code...

but that doesn't appear to be what you are hitting.  There have been
other problems with cache flushing that I don't remember all the details
of now ...

>      Although the filesystem crashed, the system did not hang. So I cd to
> this directory,
> and ls, and find that all the data seems to be lost,  but 'df' reports that
> the most of
> raid has been used, I try to repair it with xfs_repair, and everything is
> OK.
>      But now I don't want to fix this problem by xfs_repair, if the problem
> happens again,

and what did xfs_repair find?  Do you have a record of it?

> I have to reparit it again, it's too trouble, so if there is any way to
> solve this prolbem?
> I want to find out what causes this error happend,
>    Anybody has experience in this problem?
>    The following is my system parameter:
>   linux version: 2.6.12.6

any other patches applied?  Can you try again with a more recent kernel?

-Eric