Re: TAKE 981498 - remove mounpoint UUID code

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: TAKE 981498 - remove mounpoint UUID code
From: Lachlan McIlroy <lachlan@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:06:21 +1000
Cc: Niv Sardi-Altivanik <xaiki@xxxxxxx>, sgi.bugs.xfs@xxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Eric Sandeen wrote:
Dave Chinner wrote:
On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:45:42PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
Niv Sardi-Altivanik wrote:
remove mounpoint UUID code
Are you sure this didn't change any disk structures?  The patch I sent
was RFC and completely untested...  (and disclosed as such...) :)
Looking at the original patch, it definitely does change the format
of log structures on disk. it removes the union of the uuid and rdev
in the xfs_inode_log_format[32|64] which takes that entry from 16
bytes down to 4 bytes. So I'd suggest that thisss should be removed
immediately before it hits public and people start corrupting their
filesystems....

Yep.  Well crud, I even knew that when I sent it, hence the
RFC/untested/blah/blah but I suppose I shouldn't send a patch that I
know to be busted even if it's just as a whaddya-think.  I'll pad out
the union, check all the log structs, run qa & resend.

And despite all the talk about community & contributors running qa and
helping with test coverage - as a general rule do sgi devels run qa too
before committing?
Yes.  Well we are supposed to anyway.