Re: deadlocked xfs

To: Mark Goodwin <markgw@xxxxxxx>, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs-oss <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: deadlocked xfs
From: Mark Goodwin <markgw@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 13:50:10 +1000
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

Dave Chinner wrote:
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 12:48:11PM +1000, Mark Goodwin wrote:
Thanks for the report Eric. This looks very similar to a
deadlock Lachlan recently hit in the patch for
"Use atomics for iclog reference counting"

It seems this patch can cause deadlocks under heavy log traffic.
I don't think anyone has a fix yet ... Lachlan is out this week,
but Tim can follow-up here ...

Nice to know - why didn't anyone email me or report this to the
list when the bug was first found? I mean, I wrote that code, I know
what it is supposed to be doing and as a result should be able

Only recently found and didn't think it was this easy to hit.
But no excuses ...

help find and fix the bug. Can you please post what details you have
about the problem (test case, stack traces, debugging info, etc)
so I can try to find the problem.

See Tim's follow-up.

This is a regression that is in the mainline kernel that is due to
be released probably in the next couple of days. Having a little
bit of time to try and find the bug would have been nice...

At this stage, I think it would be safest to back-out the commit,
all the way to mainline. Tim, can you please work thru that today
with priority.

Thanks

--

 Mark Goodwin                                  markgw@xxxxxxx
 Engineering Manager for XFS and PCP    Phone: +61-3-99631937