Re: deadlocked xfs

To: Mark Goodwin <markgw@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: deadlocked xfs
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 13:22:58 +1000
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs-oss <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 12:48:11PM +1000, Mark Goodwin wrote:
> Thanks for the report Eric. This looks very similar to a
> deadlock Lachlan recently hit in the patch for
> "Use atomics for iclog reference counting"
> http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2008-02/msg00130.html
>
> It seems this patch can cause deadlocks under heavy log traffic.
> I don't think anyone has a fix yet ... Lachlan is out this week,
> but Tim can follow-up here ...

Nice to know - why didn't anyone email me or report this to the
list when the bug was first found? I mean, I wrote that code, I know
what it is supposed to be doing and as a result should be able
help find and fix the bug. Can you please post what details you have
about the problem (test case, stack traces, debugging info, etc)
so I can try to find the problem.

This is a regression that is in the mainline kernel that is due to
be released probably in the next couple of days. Having a little
bit of time to try and find the bug would have been nice...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner