Re: XFS Recovery

To: Richard Scobie <richard@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS Recovery
From: Timothy Shimmin <tes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 11:30:15 +1000
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 12:01:51PM +1200, Richard Scobie wrote:
>> If the following log entry appears after mounting an XFS fs, is it safe
>> to assume that whatever issue initiated the recovery has been repaired,
>> or is further checking/repair required?
>
> No.
>
>> XFS mounting filesystem md5
>> Starting XFS recovery on filesystem: md5 (logdev: /dev/md0)
>> Ending XFS recovery on filesystem: md5 (logdev: /dev/md0)
>
> That's normal output when mounting an XFS filesystem - if
> you see more than this then there might be problems...

Hmmm....I don't know if I would describe that as "normal"
unless I am misunderstanding Dave here.
There has been some recovery happening indicating that there
wasn't a clean unmount (it didn't find an unmount record in the log).
But recovery should have replayed the
outstanding metadata to a time point in the near past
and so no repair should be necessary (we have qa tests which do the
test anyway and check that there are no complaints).

--Tim