Re: grub fails boot after update

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: grub fails boot after update
From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 22:11:10 +0200
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi!

Am Donnerstag 03 Juli 2008 schrieb Jason White:
> On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 10:54:38PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > This really is grub that is busted, but I'd still just suggest using
> > ext3 to (mostly) work around the breakage for the foreseeable future.
> >
> > The other option is to teach grub to always do its io via the
> > filesystem not the block device while the fs is mounted (IIRC there
> > are various & sundry non-intuitive commands which actually nudge grub
> > towards or away from this desired behavior... --with-stage2=/path is
> > one I think, skipping the "verification" phase (i.e. trying to read
> > the block dev while mounted) is another)
>
> Does grub 2 (still in development when last I checked) improve on this
> situation?
>
> I managed to get Grub 1 installed on machines with XFS root file
> systems by running the install from within the grub "shell" environment
> rather than using grub-install. Maybe this skips the checks that
> attempt to read the block device directly. I also recall that
> grub-install failed.

I use GRUB 1 on XFS ever since. But I also used the GRUB shell directly to
write it. grub-install doesn't work reliable.

I even use the functionality to save the last booted menu entry
into /boot/grub/default without a problem.

I agree, reading or writing a mounted filesystem directly is not a good
idea.

Ciao,