Re: user defined cache

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Warwick Boote <wboote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: user defined cache
From: Mark <musicman529@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 20:51:23 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
--- On Thu, 7/3/08, Warwick Boote <wboote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Do you know of setting or layered file system that enables
> me to define
> a large buffer in main memory and cache writes to this
> buffer?
>
> Obviously i'd need the file system to also read from
> this buffer if the
> data hasn't been flushed to the disk yet.

XFS supports the following mount options, and they do
increase throughput somewhat on my system:

logbufs=N (helps concurrency)
logbsize=N (helps log buffering)

If you are using an internal XFS log, you may also try
"nobarrier" to reduce force-to-disk write frequency.
NB: I have seen this option discussed on this mailing
list, but I do not see it in the mount(8) man page.

Bear in mind that the XFS log is for metadata, rather than
actual file data. This may be what you're looking for, or at
least sufficient; if not, my apologies.
--
Mark

"What better place to find oneself than