Re: grub fails boot after update

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: grub fails boot after update
From: Jason White <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 14:47:55 +1000
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 10:54:38PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> This really is grub that is busted, but I'd still just suggest using
> ext3 to (mostly) work around the breakage for the foreseeable future.
>
> The other option is to teach grub to always do its io via the filesystem
> not the block device while the fs is mounted (IIRC there are various &
> sundry non-intuitive commands which actually nudge grub towards or away
> from this desired behavior... --with-stage2=/path is one I think,
> skipping the "verification" phase (i.e. trying to read the block dev
> while mounted) is another)

Does grub 2 (still in development when last I checked) improve on this
situation?

I managed to get Grub 1 installed on machines with XFS root file systems by
running the install from within the grub "shell" environment rather than using
grub-install. Maybe this skips the checks that attempt to read the block
device directly. I also recall that grub-install failed.