Re: XFS Compatibility Questions

To: "Arensdorf, Christopher" <Chris.Arensdorf@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS Compatibility Questions
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:57:13 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Arensdorf, Christopher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Chris and I'm with ITT Corporation in Nashua, NH. We're currently
> looking to upgrade one of our products to make use of InfiniBand technology,
> and unfortunately we're running QFS which does not support InfiniBand. We're
> interested in exploring the idea of using XFS so I had a few questions I was
> hoping you might be able to answer that I didn't seem to find in the FAQ
> section.
>
> Is XFS compatible with InfiniBand?

XFS just needs a block device to talk to; the transport to the block
device etc should not matter.

> Is XFS compatible with RHEL 5.0 or higher?

Compatible yes but not supported or shipped by Red Hat.

> Is XFS compatible with Fibre Channel?

See the first answer.  (but anyway the the short answer is Yes.)

> Is XFS compatible with Solaris 10 x86?

AFAIK XFS has never been ported to Solaris.  It's only a production FS
on Linux & Irix.

-Eric