Re: XFS w/ extern journal as root on Linux?

To: MusicMan529@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS w/ extern journal as root on Linux?
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 00:14:32 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Mark wrote:
> Well, I tried to convert my non-/home space to XFS with an external journal,
> but Linux consistently choked on it. I passed "rootfstype=xfs root=/dev/sdb5
> rootflags=logdev=/dev/sda2" on the kernel command line (via GRUB) but it
> panicked every time.
>
> Here is a transcript of the boot panic from an unmodified kernel:
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
> md: Scanned 0 and added 0 devices.
> md: autorun ...
> md: ... autorun DONE.
> XFS: Invalid device [/dev/sda2], error=-2

Hm, xfs wants to open it by name ("/dev/sda2") but if we look at the
early mount stuff it's doing essentially:

        root_device_name = saved_root_name; /* from root= */

        ROOT_DEV = name_to_dev_t(root_device_name);

        create_dev("/dev/root", ROOT_DEV);
        mount_block_root("/dev/root", root_mountflags);

so it's creating its own dev to open, and this isn't done for the logdev.

I wonder if xfs can do similar tricks, or maybe do name_to_dev_t and do
the open by dev_t not path?

This is probably where somebody tells me I'm wrong for the following
reasons: a, b, c, ... :)

-Eric