xfs_repair

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: xfs_repair
From: Ashley Oviatt <ashovi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:27:14 -0600
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
I am having the same problem as the person in this thread (Which problem
is xfs_repair has been running for 16 hours on a 1 TB raid array):

http://www.linux.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2007-03/msg00061.html

It gave the same errors as this thread, saying that it could not use any
of the super blocks it found. The last email in the thread says:

xfs-repair did find candidate secondary superblocks - it discarded them
for some reason or another. If they were ok, all repair would have done
is copied them to block zero and then continued.

I'm suggesting that you manually do this step, and then see if repair
will run.

>/    Before wrapping this up, if you could just clarify a couple things.  If I/
>/    look at the bytes at the beginning of each physical part of the LVM's,/
>/    what am I looking for?  "XFSB"?/

yes.

>/    If I do find that byte string, why/
>/    couldn't xfs_repair find it when it did the scan and what do I do with it/
>/    if I do find one?/

As I said above, xfs-repair did find some, but rejected them for some
(unknown) reason. if you find one, copy it over block zero of the partition,
and see if repair will run. Like I said, though, you'll probably want to
back up th partition first, or at least run repair in no-modify mode.

The poster, Dave Chinner, says to manually copy the superblock to the
right place, but not how to do it. I am familiar with dd, but would like
to know the exact command or steps to take to replace the primary
superblock manually with a secondary superblock.

I am using slackware linux 10 with an intel raid card.

Ashley

[[HTML alternate version deleted]]