Re: XFS for lots of small files

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS for lots of small files
From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 18:16:55 +0200
Cc: Linda Walsh <xfs@xxxxxxxxx>
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Linda,

Am Freitag 23 Mai 2008 schrieb Linda Walsh:
> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > And there is quite some fragmentation on it:
> >
> > xfs_db> frag
> > actual 653519, ideal 587066, fragmentation factor 10.17%
>
> ----
>       Not to disturb you, but are  you running xfs_fsr on a
> regular basis?

No, not yet. I had those bad experiences with xfs_fsr on a ck patchset
patched kernel and after this I didn't try again. Its pretty sure that my
file content corruption issues was related to the ck patchset as I was
not able to reproduce it with a CFS or mainline kernel. But still I have
been reluctant. I think, I give it a try after I made my backups.

> I have a shell script that runs in my 'cron.daily' that has two
> lines:
> ----
> #!/bin/bash
> ionice -c 3 /usr/sbin/xfs_fsr &
> -------
>
> I've never noticed fragmentation above 1% on my disks...but your
> mileage may vary ....

Lets see ;-)

Ciao,