Re: Adapted specfile to make kernel-module-xfs rpm build for a RHEL4 lar

To: m.vandenhout@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Adapted specfile to make kernel-module-xfs rpm build for a RHEL4 largesmp kernel
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 08:45:59 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Mirjam van den Hout - van Vroonhoven wrote:
> Hello XFS team,
>
> In order to make XFS work on Redhat Enterprise Linux 4, using the stock
> RH largesmp kernel (our server has 16 CPU's) I had to adapt the spec
> file for the kernel-module-xfs source rpm you offer for download at
> ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/testing/RHEL4/kernel-module-xfs-2.6.9-22.EL-0.1-1.src.rpm
>
> The issue is that largesmp was not recognized as a kernel type, and with
> the original specfile an RPM was build with a dependency
> "requires kernel-smp = 2.6.9-67.0.1.ELlarge" where the dependency should
> have been "requires kernel-largesmp = 2.6.9-67.0.1".
>
> The fix was to add "largesmp" to the list of defined kernel_type at the
> top of the .spec file. I also fixed a typo in this list (default instead
> of deault). The new fixed spec file (kernel-module-xfs.spec), the
> original spec file (kernel-module-xfs.spec.orig) and a diff between the
> two (kernel-module-xfs.spec.patch are attached to this email.
>
> For other users, it might be useful to include this in the next release.

SGI doesn't really maintain those; the xfs kernel modules in the
centosplus repository
(http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/centosplus/Readme.txt) are probably a
better place to start, as they have some active users and a bit of
maintenance.

(IMHO a fair amount of stuff on the xfs ftp site is so outdated it
should be removed....)

-Eric