Re: query

To: "Nandedkar, Rishiraj" <Rishiraj.Nandedkar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: query
From: Stefan Smietanowski <stesmi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 14:51:35 +0200
Cc: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Nandedkar, Rishiraj wrote:
Thank you very much

-----Original Message-----
From: Emmanuel Florac [mailto:eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 5:35 PM
To: Nandedkar, Rishiraj
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

Le Fri, 2 May 2008 16:12:58 +0530
"Nandedkar, Rishiraj" <Rishiraj.Nandedkar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> écrivait:

Thank you for update but Linux 7.3 means red hat 7 update 3 red hat 3
update 5.In our system we are unable to detect disk which is having
file system in XFS format. Our system is not able to support it.
2.4.21-32.EL is kenal version on our systems. Please let me know
which version should I use in redhat.I am trying this with fedora
core 3

RedHat 7.3 ( or even 8.0 and 9.0 for that matter) are really very old and outdated. You'd be much better for pretty much everything with something more up-to-date. Back then RedHat 7.x needed a special additional CD provided by SGI for XFS support IIRC. I'm pretty surprised that RHEL 3 doesn't support XFS though. Anyway, RHEL 4 and 5 do without any doubt (I use XFS on them).

Another point could be that if you're used to and like RedHat Linux 7.3 and/or RedHat Enterprise Linux then I think looking at either the newer RedHat Enterprise Linue (RHEL) 4 or 5 or Fedora is the way to go.

To use XFS in Fedora (http://www.fedoraproject.org) you need to add the
word "xfs" to the installer commandline and also make sure you use a
seperate, small (100MB is enough) partition that's called /boot that's
using ext3 (others work but I recommend using ext3 simply for that
partition).

// Stefan