Re: Performance Characteristics of All Linux RAIDs (mdadm/bonnie++)

To: Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Performance Characteristics of All Linux RAIDs (mdadm/bonnie++)
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 15:05:46 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Wed, 28 May 2008, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:

I added this in the wiki performance section.
Ok.

I think it would have been informative if also a test with one drive in
a non-raid setup was described.
Since the performance of bonnie++ deals with single threads/a raid1 would
probably closely match it but yeah I could do that sometime.

Are there any particular findings you want to highlight?
Not in particular, just I could never find this information provided anywhere
that showed all of the raid variation/types in one location that was easy to
read.

Is there some way to estimate random read and writes from this test?
The sequential input and output and re-write speeds are the most important.

Are the XFS file systems completely new when running the tests?
Yes, after the creation of each array, mkfs.xfs -f /dev/md3 was run to ensure
a clean mount and cron was also off throughout all testing.

Best regards keld