Re: Unneeded kernel threads (xfs, jfs, gfs2)

To: Donald Douwsma <donaldd@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Unneeded kernel threads (xfs, jfs, gfs2)
From: FD Cami <francois.cami@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 07:51:07 +0200
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 13 May 2008 15:29:38 +1000
Donald Douwsma <donaldd@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Georgi Chorbadzhiyski wrote:
> > Hi guys, I know that not all kernel thread users are converted to
> > start only when needed but the following is little annoying specially
> > when I'm not even using jfs, xfs and gfs2.
> >
> > Look at the ps output from a standard distro 2.6.24.5 kernel after a
> > fresh boot:
>

> > Kernel config can be found here:
> >
> > http://mirrors.unixsol.org/slackware/slackware-12.1/kernels/hugesmp.s/config
> >

> Your distro is building all of these modules into the kernel.
>       CONFIG_XFS_FS=y
>       CONFIG_JFS_FS=y
>       CONFIG_GFS2_FS=y
>
> This isnt exactly standard practice, normally they'd be set to =m and only
> used if required to mount a filesystem. You may want to ask the slackware
> people why they chose to do this for their hugexxx.s kernels.

To be able to use those filesystems on root partitions without requiring
an initrd.

Georgi might be interested to use the generic kernel instead of the huge
one, it is available there :
http://mirrors.unixsol.org/slackware/slackware-12.1/slackware/a/kernel-generic-smp-2.6.24.5_smp-i686-2.tgz

Documentation :
http://mirrors.unixsol.org/slackware/slackware-12.1/README.TXT