Re: Poor VMWare disk performance on XFS partition

To: Jan Derfinak <ja@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Poor VMWare disk performance on XFS partition
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 09:00:04 -0500
Cc: "Hendrik ." <chasake@xxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Jan Derfinak wrote:
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008, Hendrik . wrote:

I've been converting some of my drives from EXT3 to
XFS a while ago. Now I notice poor disk performance
when using XFS as underlying filesystem for a VMware
virtual drive. I did some experiments and it really
seems to be the XFS filesystem 'trashing' the speed of
a VMware Windows XP guest.

Mount XFS partition with "nobarrier" option. I'm using also logbufs=8,logbsize=256k for vmware.

jan

I can verify that ... barriers are killers when running vmware guest disk/memory images.

The preallocation would also help out quite bit if you don't mind dedicating the
disk space vs the sparse file method, which allow for over subscribing the physical
space. Going through once in a while and shutting down the guests and defragmenting
it a good idea.

I would be interested to find out the results of seekwatcher on shutdown
but I have also seen the long shutdowns.

-Russell