Re: [REVIEW] Don't make lazy counters default for mkfs

To: nscott@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [REVIEW] Don't make lazy counters default for mkfs
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:21:57 -0600
Cc: Barry Naujok <bnaujok@xxxxxxx>, "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Nathan Scott wrote:
On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 12:09 +1100, Barry Naujok wrote:
Lazy superblock counters was released into mainline in 2.6.23-rc1.
Some distros are still running an older kernel (2.6.22 for example) and with

(many distros?  RHEL5 and SLES10 wont have such recent kernels yet,
right?)

the latest xfsprogs, cannot mount a freshly made filesystem with
default options.

This patch make lazy counters default back to off now.

Looks good, thanks.

Users who have a more recent kernel can easily enable them with mkfs
or xfs_admin -c1 (in a patch posted out a few days ago which will be in the same xfsprogs release as this patch).

Lazy counters will default to on again in xfsprogs 2.10.0 (when CI
support is released). This should give enough time for distro kernels to catch
up.

Hmm, that still seems pretty soon to me.  I'd have thought you'd at
least want to wait until most of the distributions (esp. SUSE for you
guys) have released versions that have kernels sufficiently recent
that the default mkfs will work.  Otherwise this will be a recurring
problem.
I don't suppose there is an easy way to query xfs and find out if it can support
the lazy SB option?

cheers.