Re: Restoring damaged incremental XFS dump?

To: "Timothy Shimmin" <tes@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Restoring damaged incremental XFS dump?
From: "Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:17:15 +0100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:03:57 +1100, "Timothy Shimmin"
<tes@xxxxxxx> said:
> I'm not sure what you mean by "true snapshots". I wouldn't really
> call it snapshots as in what you could get if you froze the
> filesystem etc..

Oh, it does not freeze the filesystem - what a pity.  I recall someone
telling me that it does.  Seems like that was bad information or my
memory is failing on me.

> > So, what happens when the level 0 dump created with xfsdump becomes
> > damaged.  Will I still be able to recover some files?  What about
> > files from >0 dumps?
>
> Yes you will still be able to restore stuff. However, it is in its own
> format so only xfsrestore will be able to do your restoring. Dumps are
> separated into what it calls media files which are meant to be self
> containing. So damage to 1 theoretically shouldn't prevent restoring
> from another media file. Multiple media files are normally only used
> for tape (only 1 used for a dump to a file). And an incremental dump
> should also be able to be restored in isolation and there are some QA
> tests (in xfs-cmds/xfstests) that test this.

Thanks!

Felix

--
Dipl.-Phys. Felix E. Klee
Naunynstr. 2, 76530 Baden-Baden, Germany