Re: raid 10 su, sw settings

To: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: raid 10 su, sw settings
From: Brad Langhorst <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:43:06 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 12:04 -0500, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> > Typical blocks/sec from iostat during large file movements is about
> > 100M/s read and 80M/s write.
> >

> #1 What type of performance do you expect with a 4-disk raid10?

Are you saying that i should not expect more?
I expect about 70% better performance, since I think a single disk
should be able to do 100M/s. Maybe this is unreasonable?

> #2 You should be able to umount/mount with the new sizes, although I have
> not tested it myself b/c I typically use sw raid here (sunit/etc is
> optimized for sw raid).
I am able to do the remount, but it seems to have had no impact.
I don't know why but I see 3 possibilities:
 - Perhaps because su/sw settings  don't matter very much.
 - maybe it didn't take effect (rebooting this system is not a preferred
option)
 - maybe it doesn't matter if the partition layout is not optimized.

Brad