Re: Installing grub onto a system with XFS root fs

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Installing grub onto a system with XFS root fs
From: Jason White <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 10:04:37 +1100
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 02:28:51PM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Using grub shell manually always worked for me:
>
> - grub
> - find /boot/grub/menu.lst
> - root <result from above command>
> - setup <place to install too> for example (hd0,0) for first harddisks MBR
>
> Remember to copy over the contents of /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc to /boot
> before you do a manual installation.

Thanks.

Apparently there is XFS support in Grub 2 as well, which is where all
development is now taking place. I hope it receives adequate testing and
attention before distributions start using Grub 2.

I'll gladly volunteer to be part of the beta testing once Grub 2 (and its XFS
support) reaches the point of being available for general use and beta
testing.

Also, I've added a note to the Debian bug report on this subject, referring to
this thread.