Re: ACL limit

To: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ACL limit
From: David Chinner <dgc@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 09:31:05 +1100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 07:07:26PM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> Hi,
>

> is there any way to raise the number of ACLs that can be stored? The
> current limit of 25 is quite tight, where ext3 allows 124 and jfs 8192.
> Would increasing XFS_ACL_MAX_ENTRIES work (yes, using potentially more
> memory), i.e. not interfering with the on-disk format?

It would be an on disk format change - older kernels would error out
(-EINVAL) on > 25 ACLs and not check any of them. Hence we'd
probably need a superblock feature bit to indicate that >25 ACEs are
supported in a given ACL.

But we can work around that (superblock feature bit) and should
be able to extend this out to ~8190 entries. We're doing an ACL
rework ATM, so > 25 entry support should fall out of that....

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner