Re: acl and attr: Fix path walking code

To: Timothy Shimmin <tes@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: acl and attr: Fix path walking code
From: Andreas Gruenbacher <agruen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:36:52 +0100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Gerald Bringhurst <gbringhurst@xxxxxxxxxx>, Brandon Philips <bphilips@xxxxxxx>
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Friday 09 November 2007 08:39:56 Timothy Shimmin wrote:
> You mention -L/-P is like chown.
> However, -P for getattr isn't about not walking symlinks
> to directories,
> it's about skipping symlinks altogether, right?

Hmm, -L and -P define which files and directories are visited, and -h defines
whether we are looking at symlinks or the files they point to. The two
concepts are orthogonal. -P is not about skipping symlinks, only about not
recursing into them.

You can do this (as root), for example:

        $ ln -s dead link
        $ setfattr -h -n trusted.name -v value link
        $ getfattr -h -m- -d -P link
        # file: link
        trusted.name="value"

With "getfattr -R -P -h" you get a physical dump of all attributes ("a real,
complete dump"), while with "getfattr -R -L" you get a logical dump that
treats all symlinks as the files they point to. I somewhat doubt that -L
with -h has real value.

Thanks,
Andreas