Re: REVIEW: xfs_reno #2

To: Timothy Shimmin <tes@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: REVIEW: xfs_reno #2
From: Vlad Apostolov <vapo@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:19:20 +1100
Cc: Barry Naujok <bnaujok@xxxxxxx>, "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs-dev <xfs-dev@xxxxxxx>
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Vlad Apostolov wrote:
Timothy Shimmin wrote:
Vlad Apostolov wrote:

When the XFS parent pointers feature is released we would need to find
out to update the EA to point to the new inode parent directory. This may
not be that easy though.

Really?
Apart from the swapping of extents, reno uses standard calls doesn't it,
in which case any movement of inodes will have the parent pointers
updated by the normal vnode ops (e.g. mkdir, rename) in the kernel.

--Tim
When a 64 bits parent inode directory is changed to 32 bits inode,
I couldn't see code that would change parent pointer EA of the
children to point to the new 32 bits parent. Please correct me if
I missed something.

Regards,
Vlad

Or maybe renaming a file under the new parent will update the EA
parent pointer to the new parent.