Re: 2.6.20 (XFS? related) crash after uptime of > 180 days during apt-ge

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Chinner <dgc@xxxxxxx>, Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 2.6.20 (XFS? related) crash after uptime of > 180 days during apt-get dist-upgrade on Debian Testing
From: David Chinner <dgc@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:39:16 +1000
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 10:20:13AM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 11:45:37AM +1000, David Chinner wrote:
> > No idea - it looks like dkpg was trying to remove a directory on the
> > same path the lookup was and both have gone splat in __d_lookup on
> > the same dentry. Something happened in  those 180 days that left a
> > landmine that was tripped over here, I think. I can't see any way of
> > tracking it down from this, but thanks for reporting it anyway,
>
> This looks a lot like the i_sem leak that Vlad debugged.  Do you remember
> where this was fixed?

The i_sem leak was hitting us on sles9 - 2.6.5 base kernel - and it was fixed
before the i_sem -> i_mutex conversion in mainline. Some time around 2.6.16,
IIRC. Given this was a 2.6.20 kernel, there'd be an almighty kaboom if that
bug still existed after the i_mutex conversion....

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner